The ZESD 6 Transportation Department works collaboratively with our contracted bus transportation company, district administrators, and parents to provide safe and efficient service for students. Our priority is to transport students to school in a safe and efficient manner.
ZESD 6 partners with Lakeside Transportation to provide free transportation to students.
ZESD 6 provides bus transportation for students who live within the district boundaries and reside: (1) at a distance of one third miles (0.3) or more from his or her assigned school, unless the School Board has certified to the Illinois State Board of Education that adequate public transportation is available, or (2) if adequate public transportation is not available, within one third miles (0.3) miles from his or her assigned school where walking to or from school or to or from a pick-up point or bus stop would constitute a serious safety hazard due to either (a) vehicular traffic or rail crossing or (b) a course or pattern of criminal activity, as defined in the Ill. Street gang Terrorism Omnibus Prevention Act, 740 ILCS 147/.
A student’s parent(s)/guardian(s) may file a petition with the Board requesting transportation due to the existence of a serious safety hazard. Free transportation service and vehicle adaptation is provided for a special education student if included in the student’s individualized educational program. Homeless students shall be transported in accordance with Section 45/1-15 of the Education for Homeless Children Act. Foster care students shall be transported in accordance with Section 6312(c)(5)(B) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.
If a student is at a location within the District, other than his or her residence, for child care purposes at the time for transportation to and/or from school, that location may be considered for purposes of determining the one of one third miles ( 0.3 ) miles from the school attended. Unless the Transportation department or designee establishes new routes, pick-up and drop-off locations for students in day care must be along the District’s regular routes. The District will not discriminate among types of locations where day care is provided, which may include the premises of licensed providers, relatives’ homes, or neighbors’ homes.
Bus schedules and routes shall be determined by the Transportation department or designee and shall be altered only with the Transportation Director or designee’s approval and direction. In setting the routes, the pick-up and discharge points should be as safe for students as possible.
- Can my child get off at a stop other than their assigned home bus stop?
- My child is staying over at a friend’s house. Can they ride their friend’s bus?
- We have moved, an I need to change my child’s address. How do I do this?
- Can I request a change directly to the bus driver?
- The bus didn’t show up on time for my child. How long should he/she wait at the stop?
- Why are students asked to arrive at the bus stop five minutes before the bus pickup time?
- My child’s bus frequently arrives later than the scheduled pickup time. What causes the delays?
- My child’s bus arrives later/earlier than I want. Can the time be changed?
- Can my child stay inside the house until the bus arrives at the bus stop each morning?
- My child missed the bus. Can the bus come back to the bus stop?
- My child missed the bus at school this afternoon. Can the bus come back?
- I can’t see my child’s bus stop from my house. How can I get the bus stop moved closer?
- The bus drives right past my house. Why can’t it stop at my house?
- Does the driver have the right to assign seats on the bus?
- Who should I speak to about problems that occurred on my child’s bus?
- Another child is harassing or bullying my child while they are on the bus. What should I do?
- Are there consequences if a student misbehaves on the bus?
- The bus driver disciplined my child on the bus today. Does the driver have the right to this?
- What is a student Bus conduct report?
- Can a family member or other adult board a school bus at the bus stop or at school?
- Are parents and /or authorized persons required to accompany a PreK student at a bus stop?
- How do I locate a lost item on a school bus?